You started your business and somehow a website came along. Maybe you did the website design yourself or maybe you hired someone else to do it. Either way, big pat on the back to you for getting something online to showcase your business on this valuable piece of virtual real estate.
Unfortunately, many business owners think that a great website design is simple and as long as you have your logo, some cool pictures and a cutesy tagline that customers will come to you in droves. Alas, there's a lot more to it than that. The bottom line is that a website has to convert visitors to sales and a neat looking design isn't enough.
Here are 9 questions you need to ask yourself as you take an honest look at your business website design:
- Do people that visit your website still wonder what it is exactly that you do? If your website doesn't clearly answer that question then you're in trouble. You'll hear us say this often - A confused mind doesn't buy.
- Are you getting good website traffic but not a lot of sales or serious inquiries? Getting people to visit your website is only a small part of the equation. You have to have the right message to convert that visitor to a paying customer.
- How easy is it for people to get in touch with you? In this digital age, too many businesses rely on the "click here to contact us" button. What if the form doesn't work? What if that person has difficulty with email? You should have your phone number, your email address, and your physical address easily visible (and in multiple places!). Not only does it make it easier to get a hold of you but it also gives added credibility because you are being transparent.
- Is it easy for people to sign up for your offer? You should definitely have some sort of free offer to give to your website visitors in exchange for their email address. Getting that information from them allows you to market to them further. If the form they use is difficult to find, too complicated or long, or just doesn't work then you need to get out the toolbox and get it fixed!
- Has your business changed? Are your services exactly the same since your website was first set up? Don't let yourself get caught offering out of date information. Imagine how frustrating it would be to a customer to think they had found what they were looking for only to find out it's not an option now. Or worse yet, to pass you by because they don't think you have what they need when all along you were the perfect choice.
- Which do visitors say when they land on your website: Wow - that's exactly what I need! OR Wow - this site sure is pretty! Pretty is good but unless pretty is converting to sales, it isn't doing you any good.
- Is your website logical? Not to you but to visitors? When they land on your site, does it make sense for each step they take to get closer to your solution for their problem? Is it clear that you have THE right solution?
- Are you embarrassed if people ask you "Where can I find your website?" Maybe you dread them looking at it (because it was homemade). Maybe you cringe because it has some really difficult URL (address) with two many letters or a weird spelling. Regardless of the reason, if you hate getting that question, it's time to do something about it.
- Do you already KNOW that you need a new website but just thinking about doing it over makes you exhausted? Does the thought of writing new descriptions for About Us or your services wear you out? The good news is that not only are there options for you but it's also better that you don't do it AND there are people that can help you with every single step along the way without making it a hassle.
Websites have become a necessity in today's marketplace and there are lots of things to consider when it comes to website design: does it work on mobile, am I doing everything to make Google love me, will people find me and then want to do business with me....the list goes on. If any of the questions in that list gave you even the slightest pause, it's time to call for help.
Here at BT Webgroup, we love helping our clients create the perfect patch of online real estate. We offer client websites starting out at $500 and can even take care of the hosting!
If you answered yes to any of the questions in this post, let's have a chat so we can show you how easy it would be to let us help you with your website design! Visit us today at www.btwebgroup.com/web-design for a free estimate!